Wednesday, September 16, 2009

WHEN is She Coming Home?

That is a superb question my friends! I only wish I knew the answer. We were thinking it would be 4-6 weeks from when I left Ghana, but alot depends on a few sheets of paper.

We are needing some specific paperwork (one of which I THINK we will get for sure this week):
~ birth certificate
~ passport (can't get without the birth certificate)
~ adoption decree
~ father's death certificate

Once we get these papers we can file our I-600 locally. I've talked to the gentleman who handles our case in our local office and he told me to e-mail him when I was overnighting our paperwork so he could watch for it. Once we have I-600 approval we will just be waiting for her visa to be issued and she can come home.

I am going to be an optimist and say she will be home in the next couple of months. I am praying somehow it is before October 29th when our fingerprints expire. Nothing is definite in this process, but all in all I would say we have had a pretty good timeline. God is able, so we just keep on praying and believing!

12 comments:

Lena Just Lena said...

Thanks for the update. will pray with you! I can't wait to see your beautiful girl at home with you.

Annie said...

It is neverendingly fascinating to see how things "work" (or don't ) in other countries. In Russia, without the father's death certificate there would have been no court. The amended birth certificate and passport was obtainable in just a couple of days.

It is taking a little longer now, but we've always come home a couple of weeks after court.

Now, what worries me is - is it possible to easily get these items? The father's death certificate, for example? And if it is easy, why didn't someone do it already?

You must be on pins and needles.

CG said...

So glad you have someone willing to help on the I-600 side. Anxious for another update!

Amanda said...

Once this is all complete, at least for me, I don't want to hear or discuss:

I600s
I600As
Fingerprints
G28s
Visas
Birth Certificates
Death Certificates
Notaries
Updates
Deadlines

I've had my fill, thanks! I'm sure you have too...ahhhh, one fine day when our children are in our arms and we can do away with those conversations! :~)

Bill and Christina said...

I will stand in agreement with you Stephanie. I can't wait for you to go and get your daughter.

Kathy Eden said...

Ditto to the above!

whenpigsfly said...

Praying that your wait is SHORT!!!!!!!!!!
Linda
whose wait for Junior and Diamoh and Daniel has no end in sight whatsoever

Tracy said...

Hi Stephanie!
We are definitely praying for sooner rather than later in your wait to bring home Mercy. I can't wait to see the pictures of your completed family. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

Hugs,
Tracy

The Gang's Momma! said...

I'm catching up on some of your previous posts. The one of her with her brother(?) broke me. I can't imagine all that her little heart and mind needs to process in this journey. It renewed my desire to pray for you guys. Not just for the process to speed up and her to "get here" but for her to attach well, to mourn well, and to look forward without forgetting or forsaking . . . Oy, I'm all teary now :)

Teabo Chica said...

Your children are lovely! I am just now working on our home study for Ghana from AAI. Did you have a chance to see kids at Eban? I hope you get your babe soon!

Congrats!

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

You have awared the Kreativ Award - check it out!!

Aves

Michelle said...

I know how hard the wait is. God is moving even when we do not see. His timing will be perfect. I love you friend! Lets talk some time and I will share my secret :)