Monday, September 28, 2009

The Back-Up Plan Gone Awry

We've been doing a lot of things around here to save money. We've changed insurance companies to get a better rate. We switched to a bundle package to save on our phone/internet/cable. Best of all we have been in the process of refinancing our house to get a much lower interest rate and save money on our monthly payment.

Since we have some equity available in our home we were initially told we could probably get at least a couple of thousand in cash when we refinanced. Needless to say we were thrilled at that prospect and that it certainly would be an answer to prayer! We just found out our home didn't appraise high enough because of the market so we no longer qualify for that type of loan. We can still refinance, but there would be no cash out. Bummer.

I checked with Jeff's work this week about borrowing from his 401k. They do not offer a loan program through his employer and adoption was not a qualifying event for "hardship withdrawal". Drat!

Two. doors. closed.

Wahhhhhhhhhh!

I've sat down several times to fill out an adoption loan application, but it just doesn't feel right. I make up my mind that I'm sick of wondering where the money will come from, I pull out the paperwork, and I just can't do it. Something deep in my gut tells me it's not what I've been promised. Plus, the thought of filling out another 10 page form to prove myself worthy AGAIN doesn't sound appetizing (although I'd do it if I felt I was meant to).

So as we reach the final stages before Mercy comes home and I compare what we have vs. what we need, I get overwhelmed sometimes. I know many adoptive parents are in this same situation. I have been trying very hard to cast all of my cares and not carry this burden. I pray every day for clarity and wisdom about finances. There is no back up plan...God WILL provide.
“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
Matthew 6:31-33

9 comments:

Annie said...

We were able to get a home equity loan through our credit union, then pay it back when we got the tax credit. We've done this over and over (four times) for each adoption.

This last time I did apply for a lot of adoption grants. It was very, very time-consuming and stressful (of course there isn't ONE form....no; they are all different and often require writing an essay or something, which adds to the time issue.) And then, whap! Back comes the "We're sorry." letter - the worst ones were the ones that said they weren't giving a grant this year! All for nothing.

However, there are some agencies that offer low or no-interest adoption loans.

God will provide. I believe it. But these little disappointments are certainly upsetting. I'm sorry for the let-down you've experienced with this.

sea salt MOSAIC said...

Stephanie! I am SO excited to share this with you! I haven't time to post anything on my blog right now, so I was just *playing* around with a couple of gadgets and glanced at my verse for the day at the bottom and it's Isaiah 65:24:

"It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear."

What a great verse to share with you today!

Keep your chin up and your hands open- He will supply your every need.

Bill and Christina said...

Amen sister you are singing my song! When I talk to God saying the very same things you are I get I am never early and I am never late I am an on time God! Yes He is! Praise God that He is on time! I am trusting and resting in that. Yesterday I had to repent for not fully trusting in Him.
Praying!

Amanda said...

I was just going to share what about adoption grants? I know it's a hassle to fill out, but it's worth the effort! Or brainstorming any fundraiser ideas right before Christmas? Offer to babysit? Have a "fundraising game night" where fingerfoods are served and big group games are played, leaving an "offering plate" at the door for entrance. What about sharing your need with your family (and asking for cash for christmas, please?)

God will provide. He's proved Himself over and over. Is the travel money all that's left? That's GREAT!!

Amanda said...

or a silent auction of donated items. :~)

crispy said...

Oh I am so sorry. I can understand the money need first hand. Praying for His provision. And also for comfort for you.

Lena Just Lena said...

I am right there with you-although I have more time on my side (NOW there's the silver lining in my cloud, lol) I often read Mat. cahpter 6, and today, I came across same theme in Luke 12. God will provide. God care more for us than the sparrows. Don't worry-it won't add a bit to your life.

I need to hear it and hear it and hear it.

Praying with you!

Proverbs31Wife said...

We are in the same boat... praying daily sometimes multiple times throughout the day for the Lord to direct of finances. He will! We didn't think we had any money for this adoption. Now it has turned out that every time $ was due we had it. Our goal was not to put a dime of this adoption on credit. He has been faithful... and we have used credit! Praise God. My children and I (because my husband is overseas) will add your family to our prayer list tonight for finances.

Sean's Ladies said...

He will provide and this is too large of a burden for one couple to bear. Do you have close friends that could go before you and throw a party? We did and I don't know what we would have done without them. They firmly believed this was the church body investing in the lives of 3 little orphans forever. We had a party, gave our testimony of where God was calling us and people could give anonymously or directly to our O. Every bit counts! We had little ones that brought their allowances to big fat checks---both and all so humbling.

Will your church give you a grant?
Yard sale with other families' donations?
Online auction like Christina did?

We will be praying!! He has cattle on a thousand hills!!