Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm Having a Pity Party & You're All Invited!

I am officially struggling with what to write...

We've had our first home study visit, which went well. Judy was very nice and easy to talk to. I've written my autobiography and Jeff needs to work on his, which I know will be more difficult for him. I've volunteered to type it for him if he wants so I think that will speed things up. He can just ramble off his thoughts and I will do my best to capture them. I actually think this is a fairly interesting part of the process. The questions we need to answer are actually interesting to reflect on and put down on paper. Here are a few highlights:


  • Describe the type of people your parents are/were, including names, personalities, occupations, etc. What is and was your relationship with your parents? What values did you learn from your parents?
  • How did you meet your spouse? Describe his/her personality. Describe your courtship & decision to marry. Describe the most difficult period of marriage and how it has effected your relationship.
  • Describe yourself, your personality, your likes & dislikes. What do you like most about yourself? What would you like to change?
  • What does becoming a parent mean to you?
  • What are your thoughts about religion & its place in your family life?

The list goes on, but these are certainly interesting questions to put thought into.

We are disappointed that the little girl we were hoping to get a referral for was given to another family. I know God has the perfect plan for our family & I am trying really hard to be faithful & believe He has it all worked out. I have to admit it has been harder lately to stay positive. People just have not responded like we'd hoped. If we'd announced a pregnancy everyone would be like hey, congratulations, let me shower you with encouragement. Unfortunately, announcing we plan to adopt has not had the same effect. All but a handful of people either avoid talking to us altogether or don't bother to acknowledge the adoption (apparently if you don't talk about it, it will just go away). Others are happy to inquire about our fundraising efforts, but feel no need to give of themselves. I'm frankly disappointed!

For the people that have given generously and supported us with many encouraging words we are VERY thankful. More thankful & appreciative than you could ever know. It is your gifts and words and hugs and prayers that are continuing to sustain us during this time. We do not regret our decision to adopt and we will continue to move forward in faith. This child that we long for will be revealed to us in His perfect time. I am praying for endurance for the process. I know that while people may let us down, we thankfully serve a God that does not!

Thanksgiving was good and I've so enjoyed my time off with the hubby & kids. We have much to be thankful for...


Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: