Sunday, October 28, 2007

It's a 72 Hour Sewing Marathon!!


It's that time of year when the air is crisp and the colors are bold. Fall is in full swing which means one thing at our house...mom will be sewing. OK, I'll admit the whole sewing for Halloween thing stems from unfulfilled childhood wishes. And I'm also sure that admitting this must leave me diagnosed with some neurotic condition. Let me give you a little background: Every year at Halloween there was one girl in grade school whose mom always made her these fabulous costumes. Every year she would win a fabulous prize at the school costume party. Every year I was jealous. I know it's not pretty, but I'm just laying it all out here.

After my daughter was old enough to partake in this annual ritual of costuming I decided I would take up sewing. We'd carefully peruse the pattern books and fabric until we had decided on just the right one. I would cut and craft and make it just so.

Well, now I have 3 children - which means carefully crafting 3 costumes. They love picking them out and I really do enjoy doing this for them, unfortunately I also have this condition we'll call "proscrastinating". So finally this past Wednesday (one week until Halloween) we went to the fabric store and picked out patterns and fabric. I immediately got to work cutting and pinning and crafting. 72 hours and a very sore back later I have three lovely costumes - an Egyptian queen, a ninja, and a chicken - and even better I have three beautiful children with smiles on their faces. OK, well maybe just two with smiles since the two year old doesn't seem to be too impressed with his feathers.

My 72 hour sewing marathon has concluded until next October. We'll see what happens when I have four costumes to make - I can hardly wait!

Blessings!

Questions about Christians celebrating Halloween? Check out this article: http://www.christianitytoday.com/16017

2 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

I think your children sound amazing an I want to learn how to sew.

Salzwedel Family said...

Ha ha "D"...you are funny. Love you.
~ Mom