Monday, December 31, 2007

A Buck & A Quarter


I was sitting in the living room chair sneaking in a moment of relaxation when the most amazing "God moment" happened. My darling 6 year old boy walked quietly up to me and placed one dollar & one quarter in my hand. "What's this?", I asked. "It's money to bring home my baby sister", he replied.

What a beautiful, beautiful gift. This was a gift given from the heart - the amount didn't matter. He knows somewhere in Haiti there is a beautiful little girl that is meant to be his sister and he wants us to have the money to bring her home.

This unselfish gift reminded me of the story of the widow who gave all she had:
While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people putting their gifts into the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two pennies. "I assure you," he said, "this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has." Luke 21:1-4

The widows small gift was a sacrifice, but she gave it willingly and that is what made it so beautiful. Thank you Lord for giving my son a beautiful giving heart.

No comments: