Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Wishes

As I sit in the soft glow of the Christmas tree it is so very quiet. The most quiet the house has been since 6 am when soft tiny fingers poked my arm and whispered "mama".

I am content in my peace. I am happy just where I am. And even though my house is not the biggest, my van is not the newest and my wardrobe has no designer tags I do not care.

I've been asked a lot this week if I'm "ready for Christmas". I'm sure the spirit in which the question was asked was as to whether or not I've got my holiday shopping done. I hear the chatter of people scurrying around to find just the right brand to make the best impression on people who do not want for a thing in this world. It's so meaningless - like gerbils running on a wheel to nowhere.

My wants for this Christmas have certainly changed. If I'm honest, when I reflect on Christmas past I do see myself caught up in all the hype. As I've grown in my faith and since we've started our adoption journey I feel like I'm seeing Christmas through new eyes. Not the innocent eyes of a child, but the eyes of someone who chooses to no longer look away from the many injustices for children in this world. The fact that millions of children have no clean drinking water, are sold into slavery & prostitution, have nothing to eat, die from diseases that are easily curable & have no family to love them - now that is something to be frantic about. Whether or not I got the latest "it" gadget really seems pointless.

The answer to the question is yes, I am ready for Christmas. I am ready to quietly celebrate the miracle of God sending His son into our world. A world full of sin and tragedy and despair. A world where a tiny baby brought new hope & light so that all who seek Him could be saved.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

No comments: